Cool stuff that helps keep this single parent healthy
Life as a single parent can be stressful. I know how hard it can be to eat right and exercise as much as you should... but here are some cool things that helped me stay healthy and keep up with my daughter in 2008.
1) Laughter is still the best medicine...If you need some inspiration, try Momma Mia (or as my daughter calls it Mom-my mia).
2) The snooze button. I've actually read about how it is 'bad' to use the snooze button... it screws up your internal clock or something. However, there are days that I just NEED that extra 9 minutes!
3) Inferno MMA of Naples...because, when single parent life has you stressed out...sometimes you just need to hit something! Actually, the guys here will run you through such a good workout that you will literally sweat it all out.
4) Arnica is a homeopathic remedy that helps with headaches and bruises...and you might have a bruise or two after a good kick-boxing session. For bruises, it is most effective when applied immediately.
5) Stress can also take a toll on your stomach. Acacia Tummy Fiber as a regular supplement will help prevent stomach distress.
6) The 'Great Wall of Tea' at Teavana. I have never seen so many kinds of tea in one place! Tea is good for you in so many ways. White teas are rich in antioxidants. Black teas have some caffeine - so you don't have to turn to dangerous energy drinks. Herbal teas are relaxing. It is a little pricy, but worth the investment.
7) Calorie rich Avocados have gotten a bad reputation. Avocados are full of vitamins and minerals. I think they also make a good meal replacement, when you don't have time to cook.
8) Mango smoothies...I LOVE mango smoothies, but they make the top list because of my daughter. When she was in the 'brown phase' (eating only bread and pasta), mango smoothies were the only way I could get fruit into her. If you have a picky eater, try making smoothies...I'm a sneaky single parent...I also discovered that I could supplement with some Acacia fiber and flax oil without her noticing.
9) Probiotics have gotten a lot of buzz over the past year. They are often supplemented in yogurt and now cheeses or 'shots' that you can drink every morning. Using probiotics can help improve your immune system or help you recover after a round of antibiotics.
10) Clear Care Contact Solution... Occasionally, I've been known to work late into the night. Since I started using Clear Care, my contacts are so much more comfortable to wear for extended periods.
When all else fails and stress takes over...I've found herbal supplements like Serenity from GAIA Herbs help take the edge off without making me groggy like St. Johns Wort can do. Use your common sense, follow directions and/or consult with your doctor before taking herbal supplements...but you don't have to live with the stress.
PS: If you like my blog please click on the Digg button below...Thanks!
Return to Single Mom Blog
Return to Single Parent Home